A lot of people right now are considering to turn to renewable sources of energy, not because of practicality as power consumption rates continue to soar, but a lot of people nowadays are more conscious about the current situation of our planet which is getting warmer.
One of the best options out there is to install solar panels or solar energy kit for your home which is widely available and also the most convenient form of renewable energy compared to wind and water energy where you need to install an entire power plant near the source of it unlike a simple solar energy kit where you are given panels, insulator, solar batteries and you are ready to go.
However, buying a solar energy kit for your home is not as simple as you might think, you should come up with an evaluation about your solar battery options, like how long the battery should last, or much power it can produce, below you will learn some of the best criteria in choosing a solar battery.
This guide will help you compare your home electricity storage options, as well as to learn what are the different types of solar batteries and its different purposes. Here are the five considerations that you have to think of when you purchase a solar energy kit.
- Capacity- The capacity of the solar battery is the total amount of electricity it can store which is measured in kilowatt-hours, and usually solar batteries are designed to be stackable, meaning, you can add more batteries in a solar storage system to add more capacity to it. The power rating is the amount of electricity that a battery can deliver in a single time which is still measured in kilowatts.
- Depth of discharge (DOD)- Majority of solar batteries are required to retain some charge all the time because of its chemical composition, and if you use a hundred percent of a battery’s charge, it will likely wither down and shorten its lifespan, that is why the Depth of discharge should be measured to make sure the battery will not go beyond its capacity’s usage.
- Round-trip efficiency- The round-trip efficiency is the one that tells the amount of energy that can be used as a percentage of the amount of energy that it gathers to store it in its capacity.
- Warranty- Usually, home energy storage has its own battery cycle or the charge and draining ability of it that is done regularly, the battery’s ability to hold a charge while it gradually decreases its usage to it, because in this way, the solar batteries are like rechargeable batteries that can also be drained down due to usage and it needs to be recharged again, and as the batteries grows older, it gradually also cannot hold as much of a charge that is why warranty should always long enough for a customer to take advantage of it.
- Manufacturer- There are a lot of manufacturers of solar battery products around the world. There are companies that specialize in this kind of product that focuses on energy storage. Before you purchase your own solar battery, make sure that the manufacturer is already a reputable company wherein it has good customer reviews and good product reviews as well.