Before 2018, marijuana was only given to people who applied the MMIC (Medical Marijuana Identification Card). After January 1, 2018, California declared that all residents aged 21 and older could use marijuana without the MMIC application process for recreational use.
You might think that the application of Medical Marijuana Card is futile but you have to know the numerous benefits. To help you understand it more, here are the common MMJ (Medical Marijuana) card questions:
Why get an MMJ card?
You should get an MMJ card for the following benefits:
- Cannabis is cheaper with MMJ card: if you have MMJ card, cannabis is cheaper because you will be exposed to lower tax rates. Although excise taxes and local taxes still apply, you are exempted from state sales tax with MMIC.
- More potent weed: MMJ cardholders have access to more potent weed. You can even grow at home if you like. In California, recreational dispensaries restrict 1000 mg of cannabinoids per package of tincture or lotion. If you have MMIC, dispensaries can sell up to 2,000 mg of cannabinoids.
- If you are not yet 21 years old: if you are under 21 years old, you are not permitted to buy for recreational use. If you have MMIC, minors can access marijuana for medicinal purposes but with the assistance of a caregiver.
How does it work?
When you receive your MMIC, you will notice a unique ID number. This ID number will be entered into a web-based registry, which can be used by law enforcement officials to verify the validity of your MMIC. Do not worry though because the registry does not provide your personal information.
How to get an MMJ card?
You can get an MMJ card in three simple steps:
- Step 1: the first step is to register with your email. You will then be directed to a virtual waiting room.
- Step 2: The next step is doctor evaluation. In this stage, the doctor will see you online so make sure that your camera and microphone are working.
- Step 3: if you qualify, you can receive your MMIC recommendation letter in your inbox. As for the hard copy of your recommendation letter, it will be sent within 2 to 3 days to your address.
This process only takes around 10 minutes. As soon as you have the recommendation letter, you will be given a 7-unique character patient ID code. The code is registered to the California Medical Marijuana Program. After getting your recommendation letter, you can enter a dispensary right away.
What are the qualifying conditions to get MMIC?
You qualify to get MMIC if you have one of the following medical conditions:
- Side effects
- Chronic pain
- Migraine headaches
- Multiple sclerosis
- Chronic medical systems that will lead to serious harm to your physical or mental health if not treated.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
What is the cost of medical cannabis?
Medical cannabis is good for your bank balance. Your MMIC can cost $50 and this will include the consultation. You can choose to pay $129+ for a Premium Card, which will give you access to a Grower’s recommendation card.