When you look at the market of European infant formulas, you won’t find it hard to see who the industry leaders are. HiPP and Holle have been competing for the name of the #1 baby food manufacturer in the EU for years now. The result of that competition is superb products for your baby to enjoy.
But how do these brands compare? And which are better? Here are a few factors to consider before making an informed choice.
- Both brands offer infant formulas for all stages of development, from the day of birth to the toddler stage.
- HiPP offers German, Dutch, and UK versions of baby milks that have slight differences in their composition. HiPP Dutch stage 1, as well as other stages, don’t contain starches.
- HiPP has a line of foods for infants with special needs. If your child has a spit-up problem, allergies, or sensitive GOT, this brand has products designed specifically for them.
- Holle offers goat milk foods for babies who have a hard time digesting cow’s milk proteins. Holle goat stage 2 is one of the most popular foods for babies with sensitive tummies.
- Both brands also have so-called PRE milks: nutritious foods for preemies containing whole milk.
- Both brands add vegetable oils to their formulas as sources of fat (that includes organic palm oil).
- Both include skimmed milk and whey powder as sources of protein (with the exclusion being Holle PRE and Holle goat milk foods based on whole milk).
- Both make sure to add polyunsaturated fatty acids to their milks.
- The main source of carbs in HiPP powders is lactose.
- Holle adds maltodextrin to their products.
- HiPP milks contain pre- and probiotics for improved digestion and intestinal flora (Holle products use none of the two).
- Overall, the content of fats, carbs, and proteins are similar for both manufacturers.
HiPP milks tend to be a little more expensive than those offered by Holle. The difference is hardly a deal-breaker so you have to look at other factors.
Considering both companies have to comply with the highest standards, there are a lot of similarities. But when you look closer, you can see that Holle makes a special emphasis on the simplicity of ingredients. HiPP, on the other hand, offers a greater variety of products. HiPP and Holle have been competing for the name of the #1 baby food manufacturer in the EU for years now. The result of that competition is superb products for your baby to enjoy.