Skirting boards play a crucial role in enhancing the aesthetics and functionality of any room. These architectural elements provide a neat and finished look to the junction between the walls and the floor and protect the walls from scratches, bumps, and wear. When shopping for skirting boards, several factors must be considered including how much is skirting board to ensure you find the right product for your needs and preferences. In this article, we will explore the various aspects of skirting board shopping, including materials, design options, sizes, installation methods, and, most importantly, finding quality skirting boards within different price ranges.
Factors to Consider When Shopping for Skirting Boards
When embarking on a skirting board shopping journey, several important factors must be remembered to ensure a satisfactory purchase on checking how much is skirting board. These factors include the material, design and style, size and dimensions, installation method, and price range.
Skirting boards are available in various materials, each with unique characteristics and price points. Common materials include:
- Wood:Classic and versatile wooden skirting boards offer a timeless charm. They can be painted or stained to match any interior style but require regular maintenance to retain their beauty.
- MDF (Medium-Density Fiberboard): A cost-effective alternative to wood, MDF skirting boards are made from compressed fibers and resin. They are easy to install, come pre-primed, and offer a smooth surface for painting.
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride): PVC skirting boards are highly durable, waterproof, and low maintenance. They are moisture-resistant and easily cleaned, ideal for high-moisture areas like kitchens and bathrooms.
- Composite Materials:These skirting boards combine different materials, such as wood and PVC, to offer both benefits. They are often more expensive but provide enhanced durability and versatility.
Design and Style
Skirting boards come in a wide range of designs and styles, allowing you to choose the one that complements your interior design scheme. Some popular options include:
- Plain Skirting Boards:These are simple, straight-edged boards that offer a clean and minimalist look.
- Ogee Skirting Boards:Featuring a distinctive S-shaped profile, ogee skirting boards add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any room.
- Torus Skirting Boards:With a convex shape, torus skirting boards provide a softer and more traditional appearance.
- Chamfered Skirting Boards:Chamfered boards have a beveled edge, creating a contemporary and stylish look.
- Bullnose Skirting Boards:These boards have a rounded edge, offering a smooth and visually appealing finish.
Size and Dimensions
Skirting boards are available in various heights, widths, and thicknesses. The size you choose depends on your personal preferences, the height of your room, and the overall proportions you want to achieve. Common sizes range from 70mm to 170mm in height and 15mm to 25mm in thickness.